Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Le Vin


Seeing as I am only 20, I haven't had much need for understanding wine. However, in Paris wine is as cheap, if not cheaper than water, and it definitely cheaper than soda. I am well aware that my 1.65 euro wine from Carrefour is far from the world-renowned French wines, but it is well within my budget. Therefore I have been sacrificing my esophagus and appreciating that ignorance is bliss. Fortunately or unfortunately, I may not be able to do so much longer. 



On Monday night my friends and I went to a wine tasting course. We began with a delicious champagne before really learning the art of wine tasting. Second, we enjoyed a Sauvignon Blanc from the Loire Valley. After tilting the glass in the light, we learned that the pale color, brilliant shine, and clearness means that this is a dry and fresh wine with more acidity and less sugar. The first taste was just that with hints of citrus and passion fruit. Next came a Chardonnay from Bourgogne that was a bit smoother and creamier due to the fermentation process. Because it was fermented in oak barrels, you could taste an oakier flavor with hints of brioche and vanilla, as opposed to the fruitier hints of the Sauvignon Blanc. 


After tasting the whites, came the reds. We were taught a cute little saying in french that reminds you to always drink white before red: Blanc sur rouge, rien ne bouge; rouge sur blanc, tout fout le camp. (White on red won't go to your head; red on white and you're out for the night). This first red was a Cabernet Sauvignon from Bordeaux that was a bit spicy, yet fruity. Finally, we tasted a Syrah from the Côtes du Rhône that was a bit sweeter. In addition to the wines, we were given delicious cheeses, baguette, and charcuterie. 



Conclusions: I preferred the Sauvignon Blanc and enjoyed both reds, and I will be looking for Comté to accompany my goat cheese and baguette next time I'm at the market. Furthermore, seeing as I will not be of legal drinking age upon my return to the states, I will be putting my wine tasting techniques on the shelf for now... but am glad I can pull them out when needed. And when you can't identify the taste, smell or balance of the wine, just say: "its complex." Until then, I'll try the 2-4 euro wines instead? 

No comments:

Post a Comment