Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Tripping Tuesdays: #2


Unfortunately I am suffering from a bit of a head cold, so today's planned an adventure was reorganized after sleeping in late and laying in bed. One thing that always makes me feel better is matzoh ball soup. When I am sick at home, I lay on the couch, watch cheesy movies on HBO between naps and enjoy my mom's service of warm Fromin's matzoh ball soup with just the right amount of noodles. Unfortunately, there is no Fromin's in Paris. Even worse, my mom cannot take care of me. At Hopkins, I at least have my friends and the Health and Wellness Center (HellWell) to help me. In Paris, I do not. The pharmacies here do not even carry necessary items such as DayQuil (luckily my mom thought to pack me some. Thanks mom!).


So today my independence was put to the test. After laying in bed for an adequate amount of time, I pulled open my computer screen to search for another soup venue to try. As I was perusing google, I remembered that the Marais has an extensive Jewish quarter: they must have matzoh ball soup! Sure enough, they did! 


After dragging myself out of bed and on to the metro, I arrived in the Marais to find all of the Jewish venues on Rue des Rosiers closed. Just my luck! I decided to take one last peek down a side street in the hopes of not having a completely useless outing. Success: I found Schwartz's Deli! 


I slid into a table for one and ordered a bowl of matzoh ball soup. When it arrived, it did not look exactly like that of Fromin's. The matzoh balls were a bit darker and not as fluffy as my beloved Fromin's, however it was still delicious and did the trick! Although they did not have the classic egg bread, they did provide fresh French baguette. I wish I could bring that combo back to the states.


After slurping up the last of my soup, I stopped at a small bakery to grab a slice of baklava and head home. Unfortunately the magical healing powers of the soup are now wearing off, and my bed is calling. Here's hoping to a healthier tomorrow! 

No comments:

Post a Comment