Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Easy, Breezy, Beautiful: Paris

This weekend was the first since September that I didn't have someone staying with me or plans to travel somewhere. While I wouldn't change a minute of my travels or visits, it was so nice being able to do Paris at my own speed.


On Thursday we celebrated Beaujolais, a celebration in France that commemorates the opening of the new year of wine. After class, we grabbed a glass at a cafe before cooking dinner at Maddi's, and finishing our homework...until the power went out. After we had taken part in this beloved French tradition and new Maddi was safe in her apartment, we all went our separate ways.



Friday was Maddy's 21st birthday! We went to a delicious dinner with her lovely family, followed by a fabulous club equipped with fun friends, great American music, and stick on mustaches! Afterwards Taylor and I had a slumber party at our friend Ritchey's apartment. Seeing as we live in homestays, we have been missing out on girly activities we love at school, such as getting ready together, watching movies in our rooms together, and sleepovers. Luckily this weekend we got to do a little bit of all three.


On Saturday we slept in late and enjoyed a delicious brunch of chocolate chip banana pancakes and american coffee at Breakfast in America. Afterwards, Taylor and I enjoyed the luxury of being able to wander and enjoy Paris at whatever pace we wanted. I finally feel like I am able to navigate the city well. The pieces are coming together, and I feel like I have my nooks that I know like the back of my hand.


We hopped on the bus over to the 3rd to check out an exhibit, however there was at least a 2 hour wait. Instead we wandered in and out of vintage shops and enjoyed frozen yogurt, a treat we had been missing a lot. We then took advantage of the slightly warmer than normal temperature and wandered along the seine, continuing to be in awe of this beautiful city.



We then made our way to Musee d'Orsay where we met up with my great friend from high school Amy. We caught up at a cafe and then went our separate ways until reconvening for dinner. In the meantime, Taylor and I crossed back over the Seine to take a ride on the giant Christmas ferris wheel. The view was beautiful!! We then met Amy and her friends for dinner and Parisian nightlife. It was so great to see a friend who I have known for 15 years and be able to share these wonderful adventures with each other!



Sunday was devoted to homework. We have lots of trips coming up, so Taylor and I buckled down and finished a good chunk of our work so we won't have to let it spoil our future fun. We then rewarded ourselves with chocolate granola and Elf! Since they don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, Christmas is already in full swing, and I am not complaining! That being said, I am definitely sad I am missing Thanksgiving with my family. A part of me is very jealous of all those college students hopping on planes today to go home to their families. I know I will see mine soon though!!

No comments:

Post a Comment