Thursday, November 22, 2012

Happy Thanksgiving!

The Girls in the Kitchen
Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I just arrived home from my friend Elizabeth's apartment, where Elizabeth, her brother, Taylor,  Liza and I cooked a delicious thanksgiving meal. I am currently on bed rest with my food baby and needed to be rolled home Violet Beauregard style.

Brussels Sprouts, Sweet Potatoes and Carrot SoufflĂ©, Pumpkin Bread
Being away from home for the holidays is one of the hardest parts about being abroad. Thanksgiving is a tradition that I hold very dear to my heart. My family and my aunts, uncles and cousins all drive down to my grandparents' house in San Diego to spend the holiday together. I am definitely missing reuniting in my grandma's kitchen over her famous coffee cake and zucchini bread, waking up on their living room floor with all of my cousins, going to the movies while the turkey is in the oven, cooking and eating and laughing together, and waking up at 5 AM to get peppermint lattes before Black Friday shopping. Fortunately, I know these holidays apart will be few and far between, and I am incredibly grateful to have such wonderful traditions with such an amazing family.
The Fan Fave: Stuffing and the recipe
That being said, if I were to have to spend a Thanksgiving away, I couldn't have dreamt of a better situation. After finally finishing class, we all went to Elizabeth's apartment and made stuffing, carrot soufflĂ©, sweet potatoes, Brussels sprouts, green beans, asparagus, pumpkin pie and cooked apples... hence the food baby. I must say, fresh french baguettes and pastry dough do add quite a delicious touch.  Not only was the food absolutely delicious, but the company was fabulous! It was the perfect expat celebration! I am so thankful to be able to share these parisian adventures with such lovely ladies.
Finished product
I am so thankful to even have the opportunity to be spending the semester here. I am grateful for not only my friends, with whom I am able to share these experiences with, but also my family, without whom I would not be here. I cannot thank you enough for your love and support, and I miss you all so much, especially today. Please take the time to thank those that you are grateful for and give them a big hug! Sending mine from Paris!

No comments:

Post a Comment